Saturday, December 4, 2010

I'm Keeping Up...

I started lighting the Menorah at Hanukkah when my youngest son expressed an interest about three years ago, and I've been lighting the candles ever since...it's just so comforting for some reason...like being part of something bigger than myself. I like learning about the Jewish religion and trying out their traditions.
After preparing latkes from a package mix, I decided to be daring and try to make homemade ones. These were definitely "a labor of love" as one of my Jewish girlfriends always says about making these messy concoctions! Actually, if it would all stay in the pan, it would be fine, but I partially decorated my kitchen, but I think it was successful for my first attempt.
And I didn't forget the apple sauce and the sour cream...
What looked a tad hopeless did finally brown and crisp up as tasty latkes! Basically, the recipe was simply shredded russet potatoes (about two), a couple eggs, and some finely chopped onion. I also added a bit of fresh pepper and garlic powder.
Here they are...pretty tasty, but I felt like something was missing from them, so in search of other recipes...I did see that some ask for matzo meal, so might try that next time. Also saw some criticism of recipes containing flour and milk since that wasn't "kosher," so will stick with as close to authentic as I can. Many variations out there, but the above were basic and good and were thoroughly enjoyed.

1 comment:

SheilaC said...

YUM!! I do love latkes, although I have never tried to make them :)

Enjoy....

SheilaC