Tuesday, January 27, 2009

College dreams...






























I took Peter and his friend Michael to look at colleges last Sunday. We first went to California State University, Fullerton, since that was one of Peter's favorites from the descriptions he was reading about the Majors he's interested in and with continuing Cross Country and Track. We walked around for at least two hours with our self tour guide booklet, and we also got lost a little bit. So impressive and inspiring...Peter was so impressed with the nature park and imagined practicing his cross country running there. Oh, and they loved the giant ice cream statue...

Next stop was California State University, Long Beach, where I graduated 30 years ago. I realized that I hadn't been back since, and I was amazed at the changes and the additional facilities, like the Pyramid for the sports, and, of course, the Richard and Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center. Most of upper campus looked the same to me and brought back many happy memories wandering the halls and remembering what it was like to study and make friends there. Another two hours of walking. We sure got our exercise that day!!

Peter has a big decision to make. And we need to figure out a way to pay for it. It's nice to dream. Even nicer to make those dreams come true.

6 comments:

Von said...

Hi Jacquie! Yeah, it's paying for those dreams that causes parents to have nightmares. :) I'm not looking forward to the time when we'll have three boys in college. Think they'll have to stay pretty close to home for us to pull that one off without a load o'debt for us all.

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Von, I already have a daughter, Kara, in college at San Jose State...she already has Junior status in the beginning of her 4th semester due to AP classes and community college classes finally adding to the total. We also have our oldest son, Will, still at Moorpark Community College...he should be getting his Associates degree soon and then he'll transfer to a 4 year...so we will have three in college...ack.

Annelies said...

The beauty of being young is that they make their own dreams come true. I am sure Peter will find a way to get to the school of his choice. I remember CSUF as having lots of programs to financially aid students in need....that surely described ME!!! In fact I worked ( between classes) for a Professor Hough in the Management Dept. He was a royal PIA, but it just made me work harder to get my degree and get my own life going. Good luck to Peter, good luck to you. XXX Annelies

Pam said...

Everything always seems to work out. I can remember being scared when I decided to go to college when Amanda and Joan went away to school. All just a faint memory now.

Sheri Howard said...

Hi Jacqueline...my mom's name is Jacqueline. Thnaks for your comment on my blog. I liked what you learned about your Bunny Hill block, initerestingly enough my snowman has a big nose too and I also left it...too difficult to pick out. I am going to see my sister next week in Riverside. The world get smaller and smaller via the internet! Thanks for sharing!

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Sheri,

I don't know what happened, but I think your comment is meant for my cousin Annelies who really did learn from trying out your block...all I can do is admire! It is a sweet snowman!!