Wednesday, October 22, 2008

So this is where Brussel Sprouts come from...


I love going to our local Underwood Farms vegetable stand. Everything is so fresh, and you can really taste the difference, so for a recent potluck, I decided to make the freshest of salads with Romaine lettuce, red, yellow & orange bell peppers, white radishes, and long onions. And, oh, yes, let's not forget the heirloom tomatoes!!

But a separate stock of produce caught my eye and I had to have it...a long stock filled with brussel sprouts!! I love brussel sprouts anyway, but I just couldn't wait to taste these fresh from the stock!! And they didn't disappoint!! The stock had tons...at least two baskets that you would normally buy in the supermarket. I steamed these for about 20 minutes and then sprinkled with a bit of nutmeg and garlic powder...mmmmmmm!

2 comments:

Annelies said...

That brings back memories of when we lived in the midwest and that was how we bought our sprouts. Just saw a wonderful recipe in Simple Living magazine for sprouts. baked with pecans.....sounded yummy for the holidays. XXX Annelies

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

I'd never seen them before like this...bought another stock today for my parents when Kara and I went over to get ingredients for a dinner she's going to cook for them.